This multimodal text set is designed to help middle school learners work toward mastering the grade-level moderately complex Anchor Text “Heat Waves in Missouri (Is it getting hotter, or is it just me?)”, adapted from a published study that models summer heat stress in the St. Louis region during future climates (Steinweg and Gutowski, 2015).
Missouri Science Learning Standards (MLS) & Next Generation Science Standards (MS- NGSS) are emphasized in the Anchor Text:
- MLS 6-8.LS1.A.4 & NGSS MS-LS1-3: From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
- MLS 6-8.ESS2.C & NGSS MS-ESS2-4-6: Earth’s Systems – The Water Cycle
- MLS 6-8.ESS3.B & NGSS MS-ESS3-2: Earth and Human Activity – Natural Hazards
Missouri Science Learning Standards (MLS) & Next Generation Science Standards (MS- NGSS) are also important to the Anchor Text:
- MLS 6-8.LS2 & NGSS MS-LS2-4: Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy and Dynamics
- NGSS MS-LS3 Heredity: Inheritance and Variation in Traits
- MLS 6-8.ESS3.D & NGSS MS-ESS3-5: Earth and Human Activity – Global Climate Change
Pertinent MLS English Language Arts Grade- Level Expectations & Common Core English Language Arts Standards in Science and Technical Subjects (CCSS.ELA.RST):
- MLS ELA 6-8 RI.1.A-D Comprehend and Interpret Texts & CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.1-3 Key Ideas and Details
- MLS ELA 6-8 RI.2.A-D & CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.4-6 Analyze Craft and Structure
- MLS ELA 6-8 RI.3.A-D Synthesize Ideas from Multiple Texts & CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-9 Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.10 Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.1: Write arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.9: Draw evidence from informational texts.